Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Thing 18 - gottastartsomewhere

My First Zoho Document

What better way to demonstrate my use of Zoho Writer, than to create my blog entry for Thing 18 using this web application and then exporting the document to my blog. Zoho and I had a ruff rough start. First, I entered half my home email address and half of my work address when registering. I had a little difficulty fixing this problem, but all is now well.tongue_out

Next, I tried changing font size and color and removing the underlining after typing my heading. These font characteristics seemed to repeatedly change back to defaults on their own. After several false starts, I was able to create the document as I wished.

I am still having some difficulty setting the font type and size prior to actually typing although it is easy enough to type and then change the document to look the way I want to. Even as I just edited some of my text above, the preceding paragraph changed to 24 pt (for no reason?).surprised So, while this particular online productivity is not perfect, I think it is a great tool especially for students who always forget their papers, disks, etc. If a student typed their research paper using a tool such as this, they could easily print it out during homeroom.  I even spell-checked this document.


P.S. The document did not post exactly as the print preview showed. Background color was unplanned and should have been white for all of the text not in italics. This text was added using the blog editor, not Zoho. Another drawback is that printing the document from Zoho leaves "page a of n" at the top, the url address of Zoho and the date at the bottom of each page. I assume that there is probably a setting which allows these to be hidden. All in all, I am glad to know this is out there and I will be happy to appear so brilliant the first time it comes in handy.

No comments: