Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Thing 15 - Library 2.0

This was a particularly difficult assignment in that there is so much info. The OCLC perspectives are simple enough to read and evaluate so that is what I will do. I do, however, plan on returning to Walt Crawford's extensive article on Library 2.0 as he seems to mirror my feelings about the whole Library 2.0 concept. However, 32 pages is a little too extensive at this point.
As for the OCLC newsletter, I definitely agree with Tom Storey that the principles that drove/are driving Web 2.0 will be reflected in Library 2.0. I think Rick Anderson's statement that no library should embrace new technology without considering how that technology gels with their own core principles and values is of great importance. This point is also made by Michael Stevens in disparaging "technolust" while emphasizing the importance of "trendspotting." So I guess what is really important is trendspotting coupled with trend analysis within the framework of the individual library system and its self-image.

No comments: