Friday, September 28, 2007

Thing 22 - Downloadable Audiobooks

The selection of titles offered as audiobooks from Project Gutenberg is rather limited. I did find titles that I would not mind "reading." I even found at least one that is on my list of classics I have to read at some time. Overdrive had a wider selection of current offerings, but most of these would have to be placed on hold. I was surprised at how many titles are now able to be burned to a CD. Unfortunately, although I checked out three titles (one was an ebook-oops!), I am unable to configure my Window Media Player to listen. I got the expected error requesting a "Security Upgrade," then I got a message stating that there is a problem with the "Digital Rights Management component" and I need to contact Microsoft. For the record, I had no problem listening to my Gutenberg Project selection. I am really puzzled as I have downloaded and listened to an audiobook from the MD Library Consortium previously.
I think this is a great service that is offered by Project Gutenberg and the MD Libraries. I think it is important that we as librarians continue to take advantage of these services now and then so that we can understand the problems our patrons experience and work to improve the service and find solutions before our patrons encounter the problems.

No comments: